Chocolate beetroot muffins with healthy creamy avocado frosting.
2 cups (250g) plain flour
2/3 cup (35g) cacao powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp instant coffee (optional)
1 1/2 cups coconut milk or any preferred plant milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup (70gms) beetroot, peeled and finely grated
2 tbs cocoa macadamia nut butter
1 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (300g) avocado flesh
1/2 cup (105g) coconut oil
1/2 cup (40g) cacao powder
1 tbsp Cocoa Macadamia or Almond Macadamia nut butter
1/2 cup date syrup (or honey)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a 12 holed muffin tray with patty pans. Set aside.
- Add milk and apple cider vinegar to a large mixing bowl. Allow to stand for 5 minutes, then mix in sugar and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Sift in flour, cacao, baking powder, bicarb soda, and add salt, coffee and nut butter. Combine until smooth, then gently fold in beetroot. Spoon mixture evenly between the 12 patty pans, then bake for 14-16 mins, or until cooked when tested.
TO MAKE THE FROSTING
- Melt coconut oil over a low flame. Once liquified, turn off heat and set aside to cool.
- Add avocado, cacao, nut butter, date syrup and vanilla to a blender. Blend until very smooth, then (while the blender is running) drizzle in the melted oil coconut oil and continue to blend until completely incorporated. Scrape down the blender sides, as needed. Transfer the mix to a bowl and set in the fridge for at least 20 mins before pipping/spreading onto completely cooled muffins.